Saturday, May 9, 2009

16th DAN GETS THE CALL



After driving in 6 runs for AAA New Orleans last Wednesday, Chris Coghlan (Dans 2004-Ole'Miss) walked off the field and learned he was heading to the majors. "He's one of those kids who has always had the knack to get the barrel to the ball, from high school to Ole Miss, all the way through the system." said Dan Jennings, Marlins VP of player personnel. With the Dans, Chris hit .313 playing 3rd base. He is expected to play 2nd and outfield with the Marlins. "It's everything I've worked for since I was a little kid," Coghlan said of going to the majors.

Coglan started last night (Friday, May 8, 2009) at 2nd base, going 2 for 4 with a walk. He got his 1st hit in the 5th inning. "It was great to be able to get it out of the way." Coghlan said. "I was fortunate to put it in the right place. I hit if off the end of the bat and fortunately it went far enough and in the hold enough to fall through."

According to the Rockies web site, much of the experience was a blur for the 23 year old from Tarpon Springs, FL, as the adrenaline pumped during the 5th inning rally he helped spark. "I just remember Todd Helton saying, 'Hey, you're not going to say hello?" Coghlan said of his experience standing on base next to the Rockies' five-time All-Star first baseman. "I started laughing. That was the last time I thought about it all. I just made sure to say hello to him the next time I got on."

As a Dan, Chris was coached by Bill Ferrari.

No comments: