Friday, April 24, 2009

DANS DALEY CALLED UP



After striking out 15 and walking one in his first five relief appearances for the Rockies AAA farm club, Matt Daley (Dans 2003- Bucknell) earned a callup to the Rockies on Wednesday.


While with the Dans, Matt appeared in 18 of 24 games in relief, ending the season with a 0 – yes – that’s a zero – ERA while striking out 42 of 117 batters.
Daley, 26, posted a 1.42 ERA in six Spring Training appearances as a non-roster invitee. According to the Rockies web site, it was there he met catchers Sal Fasano (also a CICL alumni) and Paul Phillips, both of whom have learned much while bouncing between the Majors and Minors.


"Sal and Paul saw things in me that I didn't even realize that I could do," Daley said. "And they taught me things to go from hitter to hitter, what different swing paths that I could attack, different types of lefty hitters and righty hitters." Daley said. "For me, I really wasn't expecting it. I thought if I kept pitching the way I was pitching, maybe later on in the season it would happen. But not this quick.

"But if they call you up in April, it means they really needs you. It's a cool feeling to have. I'm going to try to take advantage of it."

Matt was coached in Danville by Bill Ferrari.

No comments: